I didn't realize it had been all the way since May that I posted on here. I have a whole lot going on between work, school, munchkin raising, and a HUGE show coming up! I'm keeping this short and sweet, but am hoping to start posting on here more often again. Check out the Schedule link for more info on my show and follow me on Instagram if you feel like keeping up. :)
Tuesday, May 28, 2013
My 30th birthday has come and gone and for a while there I was pretty proactive about crossing things off of my "30 Before 30", but then I lost some steam. Some of these things are still big goals so let's see how far I got before the big 3-0.
- run a 5k - Well that didn't happen. The color run is actually in Reno this Saturday, the 1st, and I made a big plan to run it, but never trained. I have all kinds of excuses, but the truth is I need to just get off my butt and do it.
- register for Tough Mudder - I pre-registered, but I have the same excuses as why I didn't train for a 5k. It's still a big goal though.
- get to 130lbs- Yeah, see above.
- finish 30 day shred- I'm seeing a trend here.
- hike in Tahoe- Maybe the reason why my jeans are getting tight is because I didn't do any of these exercise based goals?
- sell 1 thing on Etsy (I'll have my store opened in the spring)- I changed this goal to an Instagram shop and I'm really happy with this plan instead of the Etsy store. No fees and super easy.
- have a stocked Etsy store- It's not super stocked now, but it has been.
- have 100 blog followers-Didn't get there. My blogging has slacked with life changes.
- create 1 vlog-No, but 1 is in the works for this fall.
- have a functioning office- Life changes again. I had a roommate move into my office since writing this goal post so I wasn't able to get that going. He is moving out by June 15th though so I'll be able to do that now and I'll definitely be blogging the process.
- stay organized-This is what's driving me crazy about not having an office!
- have a job with insurance-Done!
- have bills paid off (except for the house and student loans)- Not done, but am chipping away at them.
- finish semester of school with A's and B's-School unfortunately got pushed back another semester, but I am starting up for sure in August.
- have professional pictures taken with munchkin- Not done and I'm sad about this one. I so need this done.
- take munchkin to play in the snow-Didn't do this either. Ugh kicking myself.
- learn to crochet- Haven't done this either. Lots of painting though!
- make a small lap quilt-Started one, but didn't finish.
- sew a dress-Not even close.
- knit bomb downtown Reno-Was this a filler goal? I don't even care about this one.
- have furniture in a consignment store-Yes! Soon to be two stores!
- plant a garden- Didn't do it by my birthday, but I have the seeds sitting on the counter now. I was totally going to do that today and forgot!
- learn how to can food- Nope, not yet.
- create meal schedules consistently-I really should get on this one! Still haven't done it either.
- learn to shoot a hand gun- Check!
- take myself on a date- I want to change this to "Take my girl on a date." Her and I need to do special things together more often.
- read 4 books- Only got to one.
- build a snowman with munchkin- It didn't snow enough here this year to do this!
- write letters to those I'm angry with, but don't send- I didn't do this, but I went to that "Shifting your Consciouness" class I mentioned and it has really helped to let go of things.
- forgive those people and stop the anger- Like I just said, I'm feeling a lot better about my life and the people that are now in it compared to when I made this goal list.
It's funny how life and goals can change so much in just 6 months! The things I'm most irritated with are my lack of exercise. I REALLY want to run a 5k, but I don't know why I can't motivate myself to actually DO it. Am I scared? I need to figure it out!
I was also still bitter about having to close my little boutique last year at the time I wrote this. I've come a long way with that and my new goals have reflected that. I've been accepted to several vintage markets again and am so excited to get my little furniture refinishing business back underway. Melanie Lea from My Billie Designs was so sweet to help me re-work my tab bar at the top of this page. I will soon have the tabs updated with my vintage market and paint workshop schedule, my furniture portfolio, and coming in the fall I will have a Shop where you will be able to buy paint! I'm so excited with the direction this is going and I can't wait to share with you!
P.S. My pretty little "Hello" picture should be back shortly!
Friday, May 24, 2013
I should be getting ready for work, but with my girl still sleeping I am choosing to enjoy my coffee and pet my cat in the quiet, peaceful morning. I don't get many moments like this anymore. Ones where I can sit with my thoughts and...and she's awake.
I've been feeling creative yet stifled in my creativity at the same time lately. On one hand I do feel the creative pull. I have ideas spinning in my head, I send myself emails during the day of to-do lists for when I get home, but once I get home I have a hard time focusing on things that will help my business move forward. I'm hoping that once my roommate moves out and we turn his room back into my office that I will be able to focus more. It's hard to run and expand a business when there is no dedicated space for it and my home just ends up cluttered with paperwork, paint projects, and the inevitable toddler toys everywhere. Not to mention, my roommates furniture is HIDEOUS. Talk about sucking the creativity right out of you.
On Mother's Day I went to a class at my local art gallery called "Shifting your Consciousness and why this is important to do." We spent a lot of time focusing on being awake and present in your life. Not letting other people make decisions for you, and listening to clues your body and the world are giving you. We talked about journaling in general and one aspect of journaling that we spent a lot of time discussing was our dreams. I admit that I've been bad about writing anything at all since then. I'm using the excuse that I had the market coming up and just haven't had time. I have had some really interesting dreams since the class though that have gotten me thinking. The latest one was I was sitting in a classroom with my friend and my forearm started itching. I absentmindedly scratched it and felt something strange. I looked down and I had feathers growing out of my arm. I was growing wings! They were very new, soft, baby feathers and when I looked over at my friend, he was noticing the same thing on his arm. We were the only ones in class noticing this sort of thing so we tried to hide it. That was the end of that dream. I never really remembered my dreams before this class, but I never paid any attention to them either. The ones that I'm remembering now have definitely given me insight into what I'm doing with my life and the direction it is going. It's interesting and a bit scary at the same time.
This post isn't really about anything in particular. Just mostly a brain dump. Maybe my journaling needs to happen on my blog instead of in a notebook for me to be comfortable with it? I'm not sure, but if feels good to get this off my mind. Does anyone else journal or even pay attention to your dreams in regards to your life choices? Have you had any enlightening ones lately?
PS- Yes my face and my header are missing from my blog. I shouldn't play around with things that I don't know how to fix :/
Wednesday, May 22, 2013
There once was a beautiful french provential style hutch. It had amazing legs, beautiful details, and the most gorgeous curves you could imagine. She wasn't found in such pretty condition though.
She was found sad, dark, and dated. There was a girl who fell in love with her though. The girl could see through the chunky hardware and the ugly speckled wood. The hutch was much more than the girl's furniture budget would allow, but the girl couldn't stop thinking about this hutch. The girl dreamed about breathing new life into her so she made the decision to buy her. She had to rescue the old girl.
So the girl brought her home and breathed new life and beauty into the dated old hutch.
She spent hours upon hours painting the biggest piece of furniture she had ever worked on. She took it and put it on display for the world (ok, just my small town... getting ahead of myself here) to see. Other people fell in love with her. She caught the attention of many, but unfortunately didn't find a home.
So she was packed up and taken back home. Except on the way home a tragedy happened. The worst sound to hear when hauling beloved furniture home. Broken glass. Blood, sweat, and (now literally) tears went into this beautiful hutch which was now no longer a hutch. It was now reduced to a...
We'll see what she ends up as, but yes, the whole top half of the hutch came tumbling to her death on the highway on the way home from our market on Sunday. It was horrible. We don't really know what happened exactly, but there's half a tie-down and a lot of glass now on the side of the road that I have to drive by twice a day!!! I suggested that we put a RIP cross at that spot on the highway and I'm still seriously considering it. There were a lot of tears, a lot of curse words, some fighting, blaming, apologizing, and making up. Now I'm at the point of trying to come up with ideas on how to salvage this beauty. She has a story and she still needs a home. I love her.
Thursday, May 9, 2013
Hey guys! Sorry for so much suspense in the last post! I have some great news though! One of the two "secrets" that I was crossing my fingers for came true and the second "thing" should be either tomorrow or early next week!
So the first thing is I was accepted into three vintage shows this fall and early next year! I'm getting back into the show ring full time and I'm so excited about it! My dream is to not have to work anymore and support myself and my family with my furniture refinishes. This is step one towards that dream. Step two for me is expanding my business which as of yesterday will start happening this fall. I'm going to become a retailer for American Paint Company and will be teaching furniture painting workshops at Rising Sun Gallery and Art Studios in Fallon, NV! You guys.... I could not be more excited with the direction my life is headed. After such a rough time last year with the closing of my boutique, I am just so thankful for the timing of people coming into my life. I'm working very hard to get back on track and it is paying off.
What this means for this here blog? Well I'll probably be posting about as often as I do now. Hopefully a little more because of the projects I will be working on, but I am still working a full time job, will be starting online school in the fall, raising a toddler, and now this. The shows and workshops will be spread out enough that it shouldn't be too stressful with some time management, but I'm a terrible procrastinator so I am going to have to keep myself on track. I want to keep this a lifestyle blog and not only a furniture refinishing blog because I've enjoyed that style so far, so there will still be ootd and decorating posts here and there.
My roommate is also moving out (hooray!) so the home renovations will be full steam ahead. His bedroom will be turned into an office for both the boyfriend and I. My garage will finally be empty as well so we can set up our table saw and really start pumping out the work!
So here's the show schedule through the end of the year and into the beginning of 2014:
May 18&19, 2013 Spring Block Party Fallon, NV
October 12, 2013 Roses and Rust Vintage Home & Garden Market Redding, CA
November 15&16, 2013 Junk Salvation Puyallup, WA
February 1&2, 2014 Junk Salvation Hillsboro, OR
I'll be changing the link up at the top that says "Thrift Wish List" in the next few days to reflect my show schedule and painting workshop schedule once we figure out the dates for those and I'll keep you all posted on how things go!
Thanks to those of you lovelies who have stuck around through this journey with me. If anyone would like to swap ad space, I would love that. I would REALLY love to swap ads without passionfruit and just leave the ads up on my sidebar without the renewal stuff. I always forget to renew ;)
Friday, May 3, 2013
I've been a busy little bee lately. There's so much I want to spill right now, but I have two things I'm crossing my fingers over and don't want to jinx them from happening if it doesn't work out the way I'm wanting. Besides psyching myself up over unsaid excitement (sorry for teasing!), I've been working my fingers off getting ready for my next show. It's just a small one, but it's perfect for getting back into the swing of things. If you are local, here's the Facebook event link.
1. My work space gets smaller and smaller as I get closer to show time. 2. Furniture in different stages of painting/waxing/distressing. 3. New stickers from Vistaprint to use for packaging up orders from @paintedtrailershop on Instagram! 4. New business cards from Vistaprint. I ordered these on a whim and wish I would have thought them out more and paid more attention to spacing, but I got 250 cards for free so they'll do for now.
Do you have anything exciting coming up that you can actually talk about?!
Tuesday, April 23, 2013
This is the first piece of furniture that I picked up after I got back to Nevada. It's not really anything special, but the store I'm consigning with had it outside under an awning forever so it wasn't getting any attention and it was a weird combination of blue with purple knobs. The owner asked if I would buy it and fix it up. I agreed thinking that she would sell it to me for something like $5 since that's about all it was worth. She wanted more and I was kind of caught between a rock and a hard place. I needed furniture to start consigning with her and all of my good stuff is still in storage in California. I bought it and decided that even though I would LOVE to put some pretty knobs on her, I wouldn't be able to make much (or any) of a profit if I did that between what I paid for the dresser and my consignment fees. I had, however, just ordered some Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint in Ironstone. I decided I would use that and figure out something to do with the knobs after I saw what kind of chippy effect the milk paint gave me. I watched all of the videos and read several tutorials on how to mix and apply the paint, but for some reason I just couldn't get it to mix well. It stayed clumped at the bottom and turned out to be more of a white wash than a paint. I really wasn't happy with it at all at first and was thinking about painting over the whole thing. I actually posted a picture on my Instagram of the new paint color I was about to apply and that picture got me doubting myself. Maybe it still looked really cool even though it wasn't what I expected. My IG buddies confirmed my doubts. They all said to leave the blue and now I'm happy I did. It still isn't what I thought it would be, but it has a really cool look up close. I waxed it yesterday using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Clear Wax and it feels so smooth.
I still have plenty of the milk paint left over so I plan on watching the videos again to see what went wrong and giving it another go. I can't wait to take this back to the boutique!